DM: DM and Bibliographic Databases

From: Gerry McKiernan
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:05:30 -0500 (EST)
Hi Dorothy and DMers

    I would like to thank Dorothy and Nautilus for establishing
and hosting this list.

    I am a science and engineering librarian by profession and
have an interest in applying DM and KDD to bibliographic databases
in the hope that discovered associations will enable fuller use
of the intellectual data embedded in these types of databases.

    I have established a project called ... Four-T-Nine-R(sm)   [:->]
at the following URL:

    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/4T9R.htm

    The site provides a description of the specifics of my interests.

    I also established other Web clearinghouses, notably one
devoted to Information Visualization of Web resources and one
devoted to automatic categorization of web resources. These are
respectively _The Big Picture_ and _Project Aristotle_. They are
avaiable at the follwoing URLs:

        _The Big Picture_

        http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic.htm

        _Project Aristotle_

        http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Aristotle.htm

    I will be updating in the coming months and would very much
appreciate
any relevant sites/cites to appropriate projects.

    In June, I will be presenting a paper at the annual meeting of
the
American Library Association meeting in Washington, D.C. that will
focus
in part on the potential application of InfoViz, automatic
categorization,
and DM and KDD to bibliographic databases. To date I have identified
but a
few DM/KDD articles that focus on my topic and would very much
appreciate
learning about others [The one key article that I believe will be of
interest
to DMiners is an excellent paper by Lisa Singh, Peter Scheuermann and
Bin Chen
of Northwestern presented at the CIKM'97 meeting in Las Vegas entitled
"Generating Association Rules from Semi-Structured Documents Using an
Extended Concept Hierarchy". The paper reports on an application of
DM to the
ABI-INFORM citation/abstract database; it's well worth The Read
-Thanks
Lisa, Peter and Bin]

    And Thank You, Dorothy for DataMine-L!

    Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Science and Technology Librarian and Bibliographer
Iowa State University Library
and
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

        "The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
                                        Attributed to Peter Drucker