Re: DM: Clustering

From: Jonathan Oliver
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 17:16:59 -0400 (EDT)
Alejandra Davidson asks:

> I looking for information about Clustering. I am interested in olds
> papers about the subject, old algorithms, who started studying it,
>how
> it appeared. Is there anything of that in Internet?, Where was it
> published?

One of the approaches to clustering is mixture modelling
(see http://www.cs.monash.edu.au/~dld/mixture.modelling.page.html or
http://www.ultimode.com for some applications of mixture modelling to
clustering).

The mixture modelling approach to clustering got started in the
late 1960s/ early 1970s.

@article{Wallace:68,
        author = "Wallace, C.S. and Boulton, D.M.",
        title = "An Information Measure for Classification",
        journal = "Computer Journal",
        volume = 11,
        pages = "185-194",
        year = 1968
        }

@article{Day:69,
        author = "Day, N.E.",
        title = "Estimating the components of a mixture of normal
distributions",
        journal = "Biometrika",
        volume = 56,
        pages = "463-474",
        year = 1969
        }

@article{Boulton:70,
        author = "Boulton, D.M. and Wallace, C.S.",
        title = "A program for numerical classification",
        journal = "Computer Journal",
        volume = 13,
        pages = "63-69",
        year = 1970
        }

@article{Wolfe:70,
        author = "Wolfe, J.H.",
        title = "Pattern Clustering by Multivariate Mixture Analysis",
        journal = "Multivariate Behavioural Research",
        volume = 5,
        pages = "329-350",
        year = 1970
        }

There were earlier approaches to mixture modelling
use the method of moments --- I think these are referenced in:

@book{Everitt:81,
        author = "Everitt, B.S. and Hand, D.J.",
        title = "Finite Mixture Distributions",
        publisher = "Chapman and Hall",
        address = "London",
        year = 1981