DM: Looking for advice in becoming a DM

From: Scott Nicholson
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:26:13 -0500 (EST)
Greetings!

First, a little background...

I'm currently working at the University of North Texas on my PhD in
Information Science, and I stumbled across data mining.  It has swept
me
away and I have become very interested in it.  I'm in a DM course
right
now, and have been taking all of the business statistics I can fit
into my
degree.

My bachelors is in mathematics & computer programming, and my masters
in
library & information science.  I worked for 3 years at the
University of
Oklahoma as a network/database administrator (using Paradox for DOS
at the
time and the PAL programming language).  I've been working with
Information
Retrieval for some time, and thus, DM is a very interesting area that
combines my backgrounds.

I want to do DM in the real world.  I'm in the Dallas area, and would
like
to find a way to do some data mining part-time or in a co-op basis as
finish my PhD (looking to complete it in spring 2000).  After that
time, I
would like to work for a large company as a data miner.  I have very
little
business coursework outside of stats and DM.

Now, to the question...

What should I do?  What other coursework would be useful to me?  How
should
I go about finding a company to work with on a part-time or co-op
basis?
I'm very excited about the idea, and want to try it before committing
my
life to it.

One thing I'm noticing in the job ads is experience with SQL, so that
is on
my short list of things to pick up.

Thanks for any advice you can give...

Scott Nicholson

               Frustrated with Internet Searching?
Try AskScott - Your Guide to Finding IT on the Internet
                 http://www.askscott.com