Re: DM: Credit Score

From: Alexandr A. Savinov
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 05:21:45 -0500 (EST)

Musial Jerry wrote:

> Hi,
>         I am looking for help/resources related to credit scoring of
> 'existing' customers.  In particular, I am interested in how
>researchers
> deal with tenure as it relates to whether or not one of our
>customers will
> continue to pay their bills in a timely manner.  We intuitively
>feel that
> the longer a customer has been with us (and paying us) the better
>credit
> risk.  However, my initial results show that the longer a person
>has been
> with us, the odds of his not paying increase.  Anyone have any
>ideas?

You try to predict some (bad) event (failure to pay, churning,
death, etc.) analyzing time sequence, i.e., one dimensional
distribution of previous payments. This is like if you were
trying to predict some disease proceeding only from the patient
age or exchange rate proceeding only from its history. Generally,
for detailed analysis more dimensions should be taken into account.
Thus we come to the problem of multidimensional analysis of some
distribution. What concretely you will try to discover in this
distribution depends on the situation and methods applied. For
example, you could try to find groups (clusters) of customers with
similar behavior, in particular, the group of potentially "bad",
"dangerous" in some sense customers. More complicated analysis
consists in finding dependencies in transitions of customers
between groups. Or, an interesting problem is finding dependencies
between dimensions (=attributes=variables=...).

So the key point here is _multidimensional_ mode of thinking about
the problem. Of course, you always can project your results and the
whole distribution onto a single dimension, but obviously this
result is not very informative (this is why your question arises).

Regards,

Sasha Savinov

--
Alexandr A. Savinov, PhD
Senior Scientific Collaborator, Laboratory of AI Systems