DM: RE: RE: Telecom Credit Score

From: Tom Dinsmore
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:29:07 -0500 (EST)
The customer's outstanding balance would have no impact on predictions about the incidence of churn.

Jerry, have you ruled out cohort effects in your model? A cohort effect is a common bias when we attempt to model the impact of customer tenure. If the mix of customers has changed over time, such that "early adopters" have an overall higher risk profile than later adopters, your "tenure" field will carry latent information value about the customer's risk.

Adverse selection is another possible explanation. Over time, most cohorts experience declining marginal risk because the bad customers default early and the good customers remain in the cohort. However, a serious attrition problem may cause the "good" customers to close their accounts faster than the "bad" customers, so the overall risk profile of the cohort increases.

If the attrition rate among good customers exceeds the attrition rate among "bad" customers in a given period, the marginal default rate in subsequent periods may increase because the number of defaults will be spread across a smaller base of remaining customers.

-- TD