DM: RE: Telecom Credit Score

From: Tcasey
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 05:45:27 -0500 (EST)
Jerry,

It may be difficult to "intuitively" pick a single variable that
determines
the customer's credit risk.  Predictive modeling techniques (Neural
Networks, CHAID, etc.) can help, however, the difficult issue with
using
predictive models is that you can't put a "face" on the customer.  It
is
therefore difficult to develop a solution specific to that target
group.

One variable that I find to be a good start is geography.  View the
credit
history of groups of customers by the various geographic designations
you
have at your disposal (urban vs. rural, metro vs. suburb, by state, by
wirecenter, by zip code, etc.).  It helps if you already have a
geographic
classification in place.  Regardless, if you can identify a trend (GIS
systems help with visualization) then you can start applying
variables to
the geographic segments.  Through simple analysis you should find at
least
some other variables that are worth investigating in greater detail.
typically find this approach to work well when trying to make
generalizations such as the one you describe.

Let me know if that helps you at all.

Tom Casey